Friday 13 July 2012

Trending topics on twitter...

So I've had a bit of trouble thinking of what to blog about today as I have done absolutely nothing. Like a serious amount of nothingness. So I wanted to blog to fill my boredom until I felt sleepy enough to just go to sleep and wake up at a normal time, problem. Done nothing today to blog about. I have therefore consulted twitters trending thing to find something to talk about. Options are:

1. rockday (wtf?)
2. Harrison Ford is 70 (do I care?)
3. Today is national french fry day (possibility)
4. ccc (wtf?)
5. Cancelled webshows (boreddd)
6. Happy Friday 13th (could do that)
7. Black hole sun (don't know what that's about)
8. Missão Impossível (wtf?)
9... Oh no it's just changed. GREAT.

Okay... decided I'm going to do the superstition of Friday the 13th.

This is an ''unlucky'' day according to some people where bad stuff can happen. Now I don't get this as bad stuff can happen on any day of the year YET people have decided that more bad stuff happens on days where it is indeed a Friday and the day of the month is the 13th. Scary. So I've gone onto Wikipedia to do some research on the topic and apparently there are a few theories. Numero uno por favor!

  1. In numerology the number 12 represents completeness. This has come about as 12 hours on the clock, 12 months in a year, 12 Gods of Olympus, 12 tribes of Israel, 12 Apostles of Jesus, 12 signs of Zodiac etc. etc. This would then mean that the number 13 would be considered irregular. Some say this is derived from the Last Supper where there were 13 people sat at the table or a Norse myth that having 13 people eating at the table would result in one of the diners dying. 
  2. Friday has been considered an unlucky day to make journeys or start new projects by ''other professions.'' It also says that Friday has been an unlucky day since the 14th century's ''The Canterbury Tales.'' I have no idea what that is!
  3. An author unnamed (handy) says that it derived from a novel called ''Friday the Thirteenth'' by Thomas W. Lawson. Where stuff goes down on that day basically. 
  4. Dan Brown's book ''The Da Vinvi Code'' popularized the connection between The Knights Templar and the Friday the 13th superstition.   
Wow. I'm not really for this whole Friday the 13th business. It's just another day of the year! I think people get themselves trapped in superstitions such as breaking mirrors and 7 years of bad luck, walking under ladders etc etc. It's pretty much always negative which is just plain RUBBISH! Sorry if anyone strongly believes in these but I just find it all a bit silly!

There you have it. A very concise version of the theories of Friday the 13th. Hope you enjoyed my ramble and this has taken up about 30 minutes of my time and I'm going to go have a bath now to waste 30 more and then go to bed.

Happy Friday 13th everyone ;)

Charlotte :3

No comments:

Post a Comment