Thursday 12 July 2012

The 12th... dun dun dunn!

Oh hey there!

So today it is the 12th July... big day in Northern Ireland as it is indeed a public holiday and celebrates something quite... well... I don't know how to describe it but I shall indeed explain the situation.

Basically there was this battle called, battle of the Boyne in which King William of Orange won victory over James II. Now, as King William of Orange was Protestant and James II was Catholic, the 12th is a Protestant holiday. Some Protestants take it seriously and go to bonfires and the parades which is all good fun so long as there isn't any rioting or fighting which there often is due to alcohol and differences of opinion. I personally don't really go to any of the parades or bonfires, I don't really know why I've only seen the marching bands once in my life and it's alright like but I duno me and standing up for a while don't really go well together! I've never been to a bonfire either, must go to one some day! Would definitely be up for the experience :)

So that's the 12th in a very, very, small, tiny, nutshell! I'm one of those people who are in the middle. All for people wanting to celebrate it, all for people not wanting to celebrate it! I can see both sides. I guess it was never a big thing in my family as no one is in the Orange Order or marches in the bands so I really have no reason to go apart for enjoyment or celebration but sometimes things get out of hand and I'd prefer to stay out of the trouble than be right in the middle of something I don't want to be involved in. Hope I haven't caused any controversy with bringing up this topic! Northern Ireland is a place where, sometimes, it matters if you're Protestant or Catholic. I believe in equal opportunities and don't see why religion should separate us! :)

Hope you're enjoying your 12th what ever you may be doing :)

Charlotte :3

No comments:

Post a Comment